Thursday 14 April 2022

Mystery to Me - finished

Well, it's been a long time in the making, but I've finally finished my Mystery to Me quilt. I think I must have started sewing this at the beginning of 2021 when we were in lockdown and I felt I needed a long term project to get my teeth into. I found piecing the blocks easy to keep on with as everyone is slightly different and it was always exciting to see how they would turn out. Things did slow down rather once I got to the machine quilting which was a tad boring as I didn't dare try anything clever in case I messed up, so it's all straight (straight-ish) lines.

I actually made up and quilted the quilt in nine sections. Each section contains more or less the same blocks but in different positions. I separated the nine sections with a row / column of 3" blocks. I thought I would sew these on after the quilting, but as I flunked to straight lines I ended up sewing these on before quilting. You may be able to pick out the two 3" wide rows and two columns in the pic above.

These are the 4 corner sections, where you can see the 3" wide strips on two of the sides.

Each section is a mirror image in the positioning of the blocks, or supposed to be - you might spot a mistake in the left bottom section!!

These two sections go either side of the middle.

Can you see that the position of the blocks is the same if you rotate one section through 180 degrees?

These go above and below the middle

Similarly, rotate one of these sections through 180 degrees and the blocks are in the same positions.

And finally this is the centre section


Well, with so many different blocks and fabrics I don't think I shall ever tire of looking at this quilt on my bed. Many of the fabrics are scraps left over from other projects, some being quilts made with friends, so it holds a lot of happy memories too.

Happy Stitching - Anita xx



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. Please keep posting. I find your projects very interesting.

    ReplyDelete