Sunday 3 May 2020

Still Life - a different perspective

What a joy this little quilted wall hanging has been to make and I'm pleased with the result, too, a win-win! It measures approx 9" x 11" and is inspired by the brilliant lino prints of Jane Walker. I love the way she captures two different perspectives in one print.

I find that when I want to do a picture quilt it is much easier for me to draw it small - less intimidating than a large blank sheet of paper. Then I use my light box to make copies changing a few things as I go until I'm happy with the result. I scan this last copy into my computer as a Jpeg and then I can crop it in my photo editing. I insert it into my office draw program and make it the size that I want before printing it out. I can only print A4 size so if I want it larger I have to crop the scan into two, or more, so that I can print 2 A4 sheets, or more, and tape them together.

I trace my picture onto the reverse of some light coloured base fabric (and in reverse). I usually use calico, and I sometimes trace it onto the front as well if I think this will be helpful. For this picture the lines on the back were the more useful as I sewed much of it by needle turned applique.

Here are some close ups:

Apples and Pears

A Vase of Flowers

A Jug


And an extra pic to end

I loved doing this little quilt so much that another still life is in the planning stage.

Happy stitching - Anita x

1 comment: