Saturday 7 March 2020

Flowers and Wood Turned Vases

My man does like a bit of wood turning on his old lathe and I like nothing more than the challenge of making flowers to put in the little vases he creates.

Today I have made delicate cherry blossom on a twig of cherry wood to compliment his "onion" shaped vase made of elm wood.

The flowers are made from small squares of vilene, coloured with Inktense pencils, and I followed this pattern to make the petals. The centres are narrow rectangles - coloured, edge snipped, rolled and then pushed through a small hole in the centre of the flowers. The flowers have a thread through the back of the centres which is tied onto the twig.

This is a taller vase made from pine for which I have made a single rose. 

The rose is made from a strip of thin fabric which is folded in half lengthwise.  I followed this pattern to make the rose which you can see on pinterest. Mine's a bit of a bodge but looks OK. I added two leaves to the stem which are simply cut from two layers of fabric stuck together with Steam a Seam 2. The wire which attaches them to the stem runs between the two layers of fabric.

This vase is turned from wild cherry wood which has lovely bark.

I made jolly felt flowers with button centres for this one, following these instructions.

My button flowers are in a small vase made from a log which had split and the split then filled with blue resin before turning.

Finally the lovely tulip vase he made some time ago from pear wood which I filled with watercolour paper roses.

What fun! - Anita x

No comments:

Post a Comment