Friday 8 March 2019

Scrappy Home Sweet Home Cushion

I have two baskets of small fabric scraps in my sewing room. One contains all the blues, purples, pinks and reds; while the other holds everything else. I decided to pull out some of the fabrics from the "everything else" basket many of which were old favourites that I couldn't bear to part with despite their diminutive size. My challenge was to make something from just these fabrics with no additions allowed. What joy that in the basket I found a strip of green fabric printed with little houses.

This is the result:

I had been reading a quilt book by Colleen Wise called "Casting Shadows" and tried to create the effect, but with limited success because of my "no additions" rule. You may be able to see what I mean in the following pics.

This is after piecing - can you see the dark line is supposed to be the shadow of the green square?

I think it shows a bit better now that I've quilted around the green square, both inside and outside, and around the little house square, which also has a shadow.

And in this pic I've stipple quilted all over the background including the shadows.

Colleen chooses her shadow fabric very carefully to be a darker shade of the background fabric - mine's a bit of a hotch potch!!

I definitely needed the practise with free motion machine stippling, and just occasionally I felt relaxed enough to enjoy the process.

This is a link to the method that I used to make up the cushion ........ Making a Basic Cushion

The back of the cushion is a piece of curtaining that I had left over. I sewed a strip of the lovely little house fabric along an edge of one half of the backing.

One final look as it didn't turn out too badly ....

Happy Sewing
Anita x


No comments:

Post a Comment