Friday 30 November 2018

Caradon - reverse applique

After an evening of reverse applique at the September Flowerpatch meeting I really wanted to carry on practising the technique. I'd been reading a lovely book by Gloria Loughman "quilted symphony" and felt inspired by her use of pattern within landscapes.

This is my take on Caradon an amazingly beautiful man-made landscape in SE Cornwall, sculpted by quarrying and mining in the past. It measures approx 12" x 9".

It's one of my favourite places to walk and I always take lots of photos whilst there.

I started my wall hanging by drawing the curved horizontal lines on paper and, using Gloria's method, traced them onto freezer paper in reverse. I ironed this onto the different fabrics, trimmed and folded the top edge over the freezer paper to make a hem. Then they were sewn down in order starting from the top and sewing along the top edge with the blind hem stitch on my sewing machine.

The triangles and "circles" and lines were done by reverse applique, tacking various coloured fabrics behind the main landscape.

Here are some close up pictures of the applique and stitching.

I extended the mustard yellow landscape area into the border binding after sewing on a tiny flange of the orange fabric. See this post on how to add a flange insert.

Life is Good - Anita x

No comments:

Post a Comment