Friday 1 December 2017

6 Minute Circles - Design 2

Oh! What fun I'm having with my 6 minute circles!

Here is Design 2 and I think I will call it "Keyhole Circles".

This time I have added a strip of background fabric to my strippy circle dividing it into two. I cut this strip 1" wide - the same width as the strips between the floating rectangles.

I made my blocks 4" (+ seam allowance) again this time so the strippy square and the background square and the freezer paper square are all 4½".

I have a tutorial in this post about how to do the 6 minute circles, but this time I've changed the way that I sewed the background circle to the strippy square - I used my blind hem stitch. I think it gives a neater finish and my circles appear more ............... circular. I have shown the back so that hopefully you can see the stitches.

After sewing the circle of background fabric to the strippy square I have placed the small 1¼circle at the centre of the background strip. I sewed this on with the same blind hem stitch going really slowly and stopping to turn my work every few stitches.

I tried a few ideas out for the alternate blocks, but mostly they looked too fussy and distracted from my circles, so I have used the "floating rectangles" again as in my earlier post.

After machine quilting around all the shapes with my walking foot, I have FMQ on the background with randomly placed, wavy horizontal lines - Yes! they are meant to be wavy! :). Horizontal this time because they fitted more easily with the keyhole design.

I bound my mini quilt with the colour that looked a bit dominant in my circles.

I have been playing around with my designs in my Photoscape editing. 

This pic gives me some idea of how the designs would look if the background fabric is darker than all the other fabrics

and this pic shows how the designs might look as a bed size quilt with 8" or 9" blocks:

See-Through Circles

and Keyhole Circles

I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts - Finish it up Friday

Enjoy your sewing play - Anita x

4 comments:

  1. Love your circle designs and you have such a great eye for colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you all for your kind and encouraging comments.The next design is well underway! :) - Anita x

    ReplyDelete