Friday 27 October 2017

Living in the Woods

It's so satisfying to finish this small textile picture which I have called "Living in the Woods". I loved every minute of the making as this is such a personal picture. I thought about it a long time before actually starting because I didn't expect it to look anywhere near as good as it did in my head, but I'm really pleased with the result. It measures approx 12" x 8".

I was inspired to do this picture after seeing the wonderful landscape paintings of Jan Phethean , and also by the beautiful area where I live.

I cut a circular piece of lino to look like branches, and stamp-printed in brown on lots of different greens to make the trees and bushes, cutting a bit more from the lino after a few prints. These were then cut out in rough bush shapes and sewn on by machine, with raw edges. The really tiny pieces like the buildings are stuck on with Steam a Seam 2 and then most have a few stitches added.

I finished off with a pale, narrow flange and then binding in brown.

The picture isn't an exact copy of my house, garden and buildings, but looking at it gives rise to all the lovely feelings I have about being lucky to live here - it makes me very grateful and happy.

Feeling content - Anita x

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts - Finish it up Friday


1 comment: